Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
The full-time exempt-status Advisor performing work to fulfill the Safety Advisor position will provide leadership for all aspects of the Owner contractor safety program, including the following:
- Administration and implementation of the contractor site safety orientation program, including development, delivery and continuous improvement.
- Review General Contractor Project Safety Plan and provide feedback regarding improvements and opportunities.
- Participation with Pre-bid and Pre-construction meetings. The Advisor will assist with these meetings from a safety perspective and inform contractors in attendance of Owner safety requirements.
- Attendance to progress or contractor meetings as requested. The Advisor will provide leadership, insight, and recommendations for improvement from a safety perspective. Meetings include; Weekly Superintendents Progress Meeting, observation and participation with subcontractor toolbox meetings, safety planning meetings, and provide leadership for the project safety team.
- Assist with planning of the safety recognition program.
- Review and approval of subcontractor project safety plans.
- Review and approval of subcontractor incident investigation reports.
- Performance of Incident Investigation and facilitation of meeting reviews.
- Conduct daily safety observations of the project and maintain project log of activities and provide appropriate feedback and coaching to the general and subcontractors.
- Facilitate monthly subcontractor site safety inspection program.
- Attend toolbox safety talks and evaluate for effectiveness of the communicated message and provide feedback and coaching to the general and subcontractors.
- Provide oversight of the contractor safety prequalification program.
- Initiate disciplinary policy for safety violations and infractions, with support from the General Contractor.
- Assist with conflict resolution and interface when necessary as means to instill focus on project goals and maintain professional courtesy.
- Administration of the project Substance Abuse Program.
- The Advisor will demonstrate to the Owner efforts being undertaken in leading the safety program, and progress made on Owner-driven initiatives. Assist with compiling metrics data.
- Ensuring accurate field observation documentation is maintained.
- Encourage a positive and proactive environment for all relationships and compliance issues.
- Provide assigned reports to Senior Project Safety Advisor for inclusion in the monthly owner safety performance measures.
- Review and provide feedback on owner policy and opportunities for program improvements.
- Maintains client standard(s) of safety on all jobsites.
- Projects a positive attitude to encourage safety compliance and awareness by all workers engaged in activity upon client jobsite.
- Coordination and communication exist with other staff members.
- Management is appropriately informed of area activities.
- Assigned functions are efficiently and effectively completed in a professional manner.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Education/Experience – Bachelor’s degree in Safety or safety related field from four year college or university; or two to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CHST, CSP, or other Safety Certification preferred. OSHA 10 or 30 HR, First aid/CPR or other safety certifications may be required.
Required Knowledge –
Ability to learn and apply in practice, relevant information from all codes, standards, regulations, Federal and State laws, and all other applicable regulatory documents. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and Power Point.
Skills and Abilities –
- Exceptional customer service skills and the ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Customer Service – Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer Feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information. Effective presentation skills and must be able to communicate across all levels, from contractor craftsperson to upper management.
- Ethics – Works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles (e.g., allergens); toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat; risk of electrical shock; explosives; risk of radiation and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
For more information visit Safety Advisor.